Number of Images on this Page = 1
Z20 Class 2-6-4T (pre 1924 E10 class)
There were a total of 33 members of this class of 2-6-4T mixed
traffic side tank locomotives. There were three differing types.
Twelve were classified E(10) class under the pre-1924
recording. These locomotives were built by Beyer, Peacock &
Company and delivered in 1891 for use on Newcastle coal
traffic. They proved very successful in suburban goods and coal
traffic, picnic trains to Toronto, but were unsuited to main line
passenger traffic. When displaced by more powerful locomotives,
many were used as shunters. Their final services were on short
light branch lines, such as Kurrajong, Carlingford, Camden, Rogans
Hill and Morpeth. A number were also to be found shunting the
industrial sidings at Port Kembla.