|Parish | Peculiar | Pedantry | Personal | Photos | Plateways | Positronics | Post | Professional | Programme | Programming | Places|
|Central Shunting Yard|
|Main||Australia||Miscellaneous||Rest of World|
|British Railways Shunting Yard|
|Main||Groupings||Nationalization||Museums||Tramways||Isle of Man|
|Preservation - England||Wales||Scotland|
Number of Images on this Page = 20
Some diesel and electric locomotives of British Rail, mostly taken during sabbatical visits to Manchester in 1980, and St.Andrews in 1986.
Introduced in 1962 for main line work on the Western Region, and built at Swindon. They were all withdrawn after short lives, as they were not particularly reliable.
Ernst Reichelt writes:
These locos are designed like the ALCO World Locomotive, NSW class 44, with different cab design at No 1 and No 2. No 1 is the aerodynamic end for high speed operation up to 140 mph, and No 2 is the blunt end for low speed operation up to 100 mph.
It was planned to run these locos at day time in push-pull mode at the East Coast Main Line, with 9 coaches and a Driving Van Trailer (DVT)with speeds up to 140 mph. During the night hours the locos should rover through whole Great Britain, hauling freight trains and sleeper trains with speeds up to 100 mph.
Due to the privatisation, this operation program never came to great use. Today all 31 locos and the matching coach stocks are leased to GNER - Great North Eastern Railway. This company runs the high speed traffic at the ECML. In the dark hours the engines sit idle and will be maintained.
Thanks for the update, Ernst!
|This page is copyright, and maintained by John Hurst.||
(accessible only on local network.)
246 accesses since 17 Feb 2021, HTML cache rendered at 20211015:1536